What is Zero Fare for Better Air?
Zero Fare for Better Air is the name RTD has developed for a collaborative, statewide initiative designed to reduce ground-level ozone by increasing the use of public transit. The effort is made possible by Colorado Senate Bill 22-180, the ozone season transit grant program in partnership with the Colorado Energy Office.
How will RTD support Zero Fare for Better Air?
During the entire month of August, RTD will offer zero fares across our entire system as part of this initiative. Together, with non-profit and municipal partners, the goal is to reduce ground-level ozone while promoting the benefits and increasing the use of public transit.
RTD is committed to promoting better air through the strategic plan priority of Community Value, in which the agency strives to be a strong community partner, providing value to customers as well as to the broader Denver metro region while sustaining planet Earth. The agency has already made commitments through the purchase of zero emissions vehicles that will arrive later this year.
Do RTD customers and pass holders need to pay a fare in August?
No. Current and new RTD customers will benefit as they will not have to use or purchase fare products from August 1-31, 2022, during Colorado’s high ozone season. RTD will reach out to all current EcoPass, Neighborhood EcoPass, and CollegePass coordinators by email with complete details if they are affected by potential credits for 2023.
Are all RTD services available at zero fare during this initiative?
Yes, all RTD services will be available at zero fare. Just hop on board the bus or train.
What about special services like Access-a-Ride?
Certified Access-a-Ride customers will also benefit from a zero fare during Zero Fare for Better Air. Customers can book in advance as they normally do.
What is RTD’s goal with the Zero Fare for Better Air initiative?
RTD welcomes current, past, and new customers to take RTD at zero fare during August and help in reducing the number of vehicles on the road to achieve all the benefits outlined below and more. This campaign also provides the opportunity to welcome back those whose travel habits have changed because of the pandemic.
What are the benefits of Zero Fare for Better Air for RTD customers?
In addition to taking RTD at zero fare during August, RTD customers experience all the environmental, financial, lifestyle and community benefits of transit, including the following:
- Save money: Taking the bus and train saves on car expenses including maintenance, parking, and tolls, which add up quickly. A household can save nearly $10,000 annually by taking public transportation and living with one less car.
- Save gas: With gas hovering around $5 per gallon, switching to public transit frees up additional funds in customers’ everyday budgets. In addition, public transportation saves the United States an estimated 6 billion gallons of gas each year!
- Reduce traffic: Taking public transit removes vehicles from roadways, limiting traffic congestion, air pollution, and ground-level ozone
- Reduce stress: Taking public transit eliminates the stress and anxiety of battling everyday traffic. Leave the driving to RTD!
- Save time: While taking public transit, customers can catch up on reading, emails, podcasts, or just sit back and relax
- Improve air quality: Transportation is a major source of greenhouse gas emissions causing climate change. Using public transit creates 84% less carbon emissions than driving a car. That is a savings of 63 million metric tons annually.