The Colorado Department of Transportation, in cooperation with Myers and Sons Construction, has begun installing wildlife fencing along I-25 as of June 1. The project, which is expected to be completed in October, is focused on building 10 miles of wildlife fencing, guardrails, and two deer guards at Happy Canyon Road in addition to concrete rehabilitation on I-25.
Crews are currently installing fencing on the west side of I-25, working south to north from Castle Pines Parkway to Ridgegate Parkway. In late summer, they will transition to the east side of I-25.
After several recent collisions and growing public concern, CDOT, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW), the City of Castle Pines and Castle Rock and Douglas County put forth a plan to mitigate wildlife related accidents. Based on wildlife migration studies and collision data, the groups determined that exclusion fencing would help significantly reduce the amount of incidents along the I-25 corridor. Increased development in the area has caused animal patterns to shift, raising concerns for traveler's safety. As the fencing continues to go up, CDOT and CPW anticipate a large decrease in wildlife/vehicle collisions and will begin monitoring success in the fall.
- Daytime working hours will be from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Crews will be primarily installing fencing during this time.
- Nighttime working hours will be from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., Sunday night through Friday morning. During nighttime construction, single and double lane closures, alternating traffic intermittently in either direction are expected on I-25 throughout the duration of the project.
- CPW recommends drivers stay alert and slow down, particularly at dawn and dusk when wildlife is more active. If drivers do see wildlife in the roadway, they should not swerve, as they are more likely to wreck when trying to avoid an animal. It is best to slow down if possible and look for other wildlife, as most travel in groups.
For additional information about this project:
- Call the project information line at 970.880.4318
- Email the project team at: PublicInfoCO@gmail.com
- Visit the project website