Building Permits and Inspection Services
Do I need a building permit?
Many home improvement projects require a building permit. Major renovations such as finishing your basement, adding a deck, or installing a hot tub require a permit, and so do smaller projects such as adding an AC system, reroofing, or creating a new window or patio door. View the complete Building Department FAQs for more details.
Building permit fees are comprised of a permit fee, plan review fee, electrical fee, zoning fee, and Douglas County and City of Castle Pines use tax. Depending on the type of project and extent of work being performed certain fees may not be applicable. However, all permits require the collection of a permit fee and use tax at the following rates:
- Permit Fee – Based on the value of the project (see Table 1)
- Douglas County Use Tax – 1% of 50% of the value of the project
- Castle Pines Use Tax – 2.75% of 50% of the value of the project
If a permit requires a Plan Review, additional costs may include:
- Plan Review Fee – 65% of the permit fee
- Electrical Permit FeeBased on the square feet of the project (residential)
- Based on value (commercial) (see Table 2)
- Zoning Fee – $50
If you would like assistance in determining which fees may be applicable to your building project, please call the Building Department at 303.705.0227.
- Zoning Review for a Building Permit: $50.00
- Development Review Fee Schedule