Business Permits and Licenses


Business Permits and Licenses

How to register your business with the City

Castle Pines businesses play a vital role in our community. They provide valuable goods and services locally and meet the City’s long-term vision for quality growth.

All businesses operating within the City boundaries are required to obtain either a business license, sales and use tax license or a contractor license from the City. These licenses help the City better support and protect residents, taxpayers and business owners in the City.

barista makes coffee

Business Licenses

Business licenses are required for any person to engage in business within the City. New businesses must obtain a business license within 30 days after the commencement of business to avoid any late fees.

All business licenses are issued for a term of up to two years. Existing business licenses must be renewed by January 1 of the calendar year following the expiration date of the existing license. Please report in writing any change of information in your application within 30 days of the change.

Do I need a Business License?

No business license is required if you hold a valid contractor license or sales and use tax license issued by the City, or if your business qualifies as a home occupation as defined in the City's Zoning Ordinance.

Licenses that are expired are not subject to renewal and must be processed and approved as a new license.

Zoning Ordinance

woman stamps a form
man using calculator

Sales and Use Tax Licenses

Businesses selling items or services applicable to sales tax in the City must also obtain a Castle Pines sales tax license. No business license is required of any person who holds a valid sales tax license. All sales tax licenses expire on December 31 of each year.

  • New Application Fee: $5.00
  • Annual Fee: $10/year

Sales and Use Tax

Contractor Licenses

A contractor license is required for a permit to work within City limits. Contractor licenses are good for up to two years and expire on December 31. Existing contractor licenses must be renewed by January 1 of the calendar year following the expiration date of the existing license. Licensed contractors do not need a business license.

Contractor Licenses

two men review a building interior